The BIP location
The Botany Industrial Park (BIP) occupies over 60 hectares and is bounded by Beauchamp Road to the south, Denison Street to the east, Corish Circle and Anderson Street to the North and the Botany rail freight line to the west.
The BIP companies
Four major companies have operations or on-going legacy interests on the Site:
In addition to these operating companies, the BIP also co-ordinates activities with other companies that lease land on the site from Orica and Qenos. These include Air Liquide, KBR (engineering), and Broadspectrum (“BRS”) (maintenance, projects and turnarounds).
The BIP team
The BIP team offers a point of contact with external authorities and the community through the BIP Operations Manager, who oversees the management of the site’s interaction with the regulatory authorities, such as the Environment Protection Authority (EPA), the Department of Planning & Infrastructure, Sydney Water, Safe Work NSW, local government, police and Fire & Rescue NSW. The BIP Operations Manager also ensures consistently high standards of SH&E management from all businesses on the site. The team provides BIP plants with specialist advice on occupational health and environmental management. The systematic and proactive approaches in these areas formerly used by ICI, and then Orica, are also employed by all operating companies. In addition, the BIP Operations Manager has the responsibility of co-ordinating the use of common resources such as the roadways and security.
Over the last year, the BIP team has:
- successfully managed Dangerous Goods Storage notifications to SafeWork NSW and trade waste agreements with Sydney Water. (These are living documents. The companies are updating their depots in accordance with the parts of the documents that are relevant to them.);
- conducted extensive workplace health assessments;
- provided ongoing support to each BIP plant;
- continued to represent all companies in professional and industry associations;
- played an active part in the EPA-industry consultation process through membership of the Australian Sustainable Business Group, and PACIA;
- been a participant in EPA’s Sustainability Advantage Program;
- participated in Sydney Water’s Customer Forum;
- interacted with the EPA on revisions to licences;
- assisted in compliance audits conducted by the EPA; and
- conducted numerous tours of the BIP for educational and community groups